Initiation Into the African Tribal Religions

I have always said that I believe the Spirits of the African Tribal Religions are for everyone, not just a select few. The Orisha, the Nkisi and the Lwa are always willing to help those who truly need their help. I was taught the African Tribal Religions were about community, about family and about living your best life. I am by no means a traditionalist, I believe in change and progression in the African Tribal Religions. With that being said, I can also say I believe those who think they can do what I do without an initiation are sadly mistaken. Initiations are not for everyone. Initiations are not instant gratification nor are they a magic pill for everything that ails you. Initiations are a serious commitment not only to Spirit but to yourself and your community. What I see happening that saddens me is the ongoing assembly line initiations for power and money. People are being initiated without proper training and left to fend for themselves with a title they haven't got a clue what to do with. These people are left with nowhere to turn when confronted with problems a Priest or Priestess is supposed to know how to handle. My Padrino did not give me a Prenda for a year after my initiation. I spent that year working with his learning the ins and outs of caring for a living breathing altar. It was 9 years until Centella herself gave me permission to have a human skull in her Nganga. There were many other things I had to have patience and wait on. My advice to anyone seeking anything within the African Tribal Religions is research and patience. If anything feels wrong TO you, it probably is wrong FOR you. If you run up against an initiated person who rubs you the wrong way, then they are obliviously not the right person for you, move on to the next one until you find the right one for you. Ask about their initiation, their lineage, their house rules. Ask many questions. Get to know them. My Padrino always told me "seek your truth and no one elses".

@COPYRIGHT MadrinaAngelique.com Can not be reproduced in part or as a whole without written permission. All Rights Reserved.